Sunday 21 October 2012

OOOPS WHERE DID SEPTEMBER GO?



Where have the months gone?  So many unwritten/unposted blog posts so here is the condensed version!


When I was piecing the top- why oh why -did I have the same old problem of inaccurate piecing?  I thought I was being extra careful when cutting and piecing but when I joined some rows I got this awful mis-match at one end.   I had watched a video on The Quilt Show about precision piecing with Sally Collins and I was consciously remembering her advice but to no avail!  I have purchased these so maybe one of these will help?  Although I am sure my rotary cutting is rubbish as well.  I just cannot seem to get all bits the same!





When Hexagon Park top was finished (end of September)  – part 2 of post

I used nearly all of the leftover pieces  on the back as I do not want any stash.  I do have some unused fabric but not a lot and I do not want to add to it.  Having loads and fabric and stuff does not make me a more accurate piecer or consistent quilter. 









When Hex Park was layered and microtacked (End of first week of October) – part 3 of post




Woohoo it now looks like this ready for quilting.  My assistant and I rolled around the floor pulling tight the layers and taping to the wood floor. I used my cutting mat technique – I put my very large cutting mat on the floor first, laid the layers on top, taped  to the  floor  and then using bent pins, pinned the centre section.  The pins go through the layers and I then slightly slide it along the mat and up through to the top.  I do not close the pins as these will only be in temporary.  I use a wooden yard/metre stick slid underneath to nudge the mat to another section.  When I have pinned a large centre section I then move the whole thing to my kitchen table and microtack the pinned area and then work out from there in sections.

Phew sorry about the long post
LT


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any comments and observations you have regarding my work - good or bad - also- advice readily accepted.