Sunday 21 October 2012

oh dear another project – animal quilt.


Although the Hex Park is ready for quilting I have started piecing another top for a quilt for my daughter using the animal fabrics shown in a previous post.  I am using a design from The Missouri Star Quilt Company Youtube video of their interpretation of a stack and whack quilt.  As the prints are large I have cut  10 inch squares which are then cut into two triangles and from white fabric cut strips measuring 4.5 inches X 14.5 inches and the rest of the triangles.  It is a simple pattern but you must sew the triangles on the correct sides each time so I drew myself a little sketch showing white triangle and patterned triangle position.  The triangles are flipped round and the two longest edges are opposite the sewn edge. Beware the bias edges! I keep this next to me and as I join each set I check it against the drawing.   Here is a scan of my actual drawing – you can see I am a simple soul.



My blocks are going together like this





This is one quarter of a block





And then four joined make the finished block – these are large at approx  26 – 27 inch square






Ideal size for large prints.   I may machine quilt these blocks  individually and then join with sashing and add a stripey type border.  Just need to finish the other two blocks.
LT

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for your comments on my finishes on Sew It's Finished.... it has been great to finish off my projects... the fact there are so many just reflects on how I have been starting far too many!!! I love these animal blocks you are making..... this will be a lovely quilt....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read any comments and observations you have regarding my work - good or bad - also- advice readily accepted.