Saturday 30 March 2013

Hand Sewing

I really like sewing by hand but its not very often I do any.  I finished an applique cushion recently but I wanted a long term sewing project.  So with this in mind  I have started to cut out fabric for two different quilts to be pieced by hand.  I am going through my scraps first to use as much as I can before using new fabric.  I am using a pattern from Material  Obsession II



 and one from an old book  entitled Patchwork Gems


 I have been spurred into action by looking at Little Island Quilting blog and seeing yet another wonderful hand pieced quilt.  One of the blocks I have started is the same as the one from Material Obsession 2 and I have been always a bit daunted by the 72 pieces per block instruction,  although it is only one shape so its simple and I like simple.



 The pattern from the Patchwork Gems  book is Caesars Crown so a few curves to get right.  I will need to work on which colour I want this one in.  Not liking the lilac and yellow  version!



I  made some templates, cut a few bits of fabric and then I even started stitching - and then stopped.  I hate dots...

Even before I had posted this post I have an update.  I have now decided to 'do' the Material Obsession pattern using paper piecing.  I tried the hand sewing without paper but I hate hate trying to match the dots.  I hate drawing the dots as well.  Then I tried machine stitching together which was great but kind of took away the whole purpose of having some hand piecing on the go.  I use glue to stick the fabric to the paper pieces so it is super fast and much quicker than drawing those pesky dots.

 
 
Not sure how long it will take me but at least I have started and it gave me an excuse to purchase some fabric for the scrappy aspect of the block.  (I know, I know what I said at the start of the original post...
Happy sewing!
LTT

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any comments and observations you have regarding my work - good or bad - also- advice readily accepted.